Sowing Tomorrow's Forests Today
Are you looking for more than just another job?
Would you like to work with a team that shares your concerns about climate change and love of sustainability?
If this is you, we'd be open to hear from you and welcome speculative job applications.
Formulation Chemist (Seed Coating)
Due to exciting new opportunities, we are expanding our Research Team and are seeking a Formulation Chemist. This individual will work in the laboratory developing seed pellets containing our patent-pending moisture-retaining seed coating. The successful candidate will use industry-standard techniques to apply materials to seed in efforts to make seeds easier to handle and uniform enough for mechanised planting and improve germination and seedling establishment. The post holder will interact closely with the other members of the SilviBio team. This role will provide the opportunity to work on innovative solutions to help global reforestation efforts and be part of a start-up company team.
· Conduct desk-based research to Identify new leads to improve seed coating properties
· Perform vial tests of coating formulation properties
· Optimise both formulations and procedures for applying coating formulations to seed using rotary coater, this may include scale-up studies.
· Documenting experiments and writing up reports - to share internally and externally
· Planning and organising the materials and resources required for the project
· Helping other team members as and when required - since we're a small company, expect to get involved in a large variety of tasks. Beyond lab work, it may involve assisting with planning future projects, writing up social media posts, or working on another project that we start in the meantime (e.g. a field trial)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
At least a MSc/BSc degree in Chemistry
Knowledge of soft matter, hydrogel, polymer and/or biomaterials chemistry preferred
Laboratory experience: both academic and industrial preferred
Experience in analysing, recording and sharing results, following procedures, and maintaining high health and safety standards.
Flexibility and ability to adapt to the varying nature of projects and business needs.
Strong (written and verbal) communication skills
Excellent interpersonal skills, capable of independent work but keen to work as part of a team.
A driving licence is preferred as the role may require travel to remote locations in Scotland.
Contract length: 5.5 months
Salary: £29,000.00-£32,000.00 per year
Application deadline: 19/10/2021
How to apply
Apply with a CV and a cover letter via email.
Applicants will be interviewed on a rolling basis as the role needs to be filled ASAP so we may interview before the application deadline.
SilviBio is unable to support visa applications so please only apply if you have the right to work in the UK.
No recruiters please.